There are very few people I know that enjoy cleaning their toilet. On second thought, I don’t know anyone who does. However, this is one chore that you simply cannot take for granted. It may look easy, but the truth is that many people do not know how to clean a toilet the right way. It is important that you get it right to avoid the spread of nasty viruses and bacteria.
So how do you do this?
In this article, you will learn how to clean a toilet using commercial toilet cleaners as well as natural/homemade cleaners. You can then decide which method is best for you.
How to Clean a Toilet Using Commercial Cleaners
Before you launch your attack against the grime in your toilet, you need to assemble your weapons of choice. Here’s what you need:
- Toilet brush
- Commercial toilet cleaner (gel, powder, or liquid)
- Cloths or paper towels
Then follow the steps below:
- Remove the stuff around the toilet – Cleaning a toilet can get messy. There is always the risk of splashing toilet water or cleaner on the items around the toilet. To avoid this, remove the items placed around the toilet.
- Flush and apply the toilet cleaner – Put the toilet lid down and then flush the toilet. Then raise the lid and apply the toilet cleaner gel, liquid, or powder around the toilet bowl. Make sure that you apply the cleaner underneath the rim. Close the lid and allow the cleaner to dissolve the grime.
- Clean the outside of the toilet – To clean the exterior of the toilet, you need to start from the top and work your way down. Spray the cleaner on the cistern and flush handle and use a cloth or paper towel to wipe them down. Follow the same procedure for the outer part of the lid and toilet bowl.
- Clean the seat – Lift up the lid and spray the cleaner over the toilet seat, inner part of the lid, and around the rim. Wipe these areas with a clean cloth.
- Scrub the toilet bowl – Now that the cleaner has loosened the grime, begin to scrub the inside of the bowl from top to bottom. Start with the underside of the rim and end with the hole. Finally, close the lid and flush the toilet.
- Clean up – Mop up any spills from the floor and throw away the used paper towels. Put back the items you removed in step 1.
As you can see, once you know how to clean a toilet properly, the task becomes less complicated.
How to Clean a Toilet Using Natural Ingredients
Maybe cleaning toilets using chemicals isn’t your thing, especially if you consider that commercial cleaners contain many toxic and harsh chemicals (e.g. hydrochloric acid and chlorine bleach). But the good news is that there are many natural ingredients that can get the job done. These natural ingredients kill germs, are safe, and can be quite cheap!
Want to know how to clean a toilet using natural cleaners?
Here’s what you need:
- White vinegar – This mild acid will disinfect and clear out all the nasty smells from your toilet.
- Borax – Please don’t confuse this with boric acid! Borax is a safe, multi-purpose cleaner that will deodorize, eliminate stains and whiten your toilet bowl.
- Lemon juice – This contains citric acid, which helps to eliminate the stains left behind by hard water.
- Baking soda – It will scour your bowl and remove those ugly rings and debris. Though it eliminates bad smells, it doesn’t kill germs.
- Essential oils – If you can get your hands on some tea tree oil, peppermint, lavender, or rosemary, you will be able to kill all kinds of fungi, bacteria, and viruses in your toilet. You can add these essential oils to your homemade toilet cleaner for extra oomph!
So there you have it. Those are just five natural ingredients that you can use to clean your toilet.
But wait a minute! How do you combine these ingredients to clean your toilet?
Here are some simple formulas to help you learn how to clean a toilet and leave it looking sparkling new:
- Tea tree toilet scrub
- ½ tsp tea tree oil
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- ½ cup baking soda
Mix the tea tree oil and vinegar in a small spray bottle and spray on the toilet lid, seat, flush handle, and inside the bowl. Leave for 1o minutes and sprinkle the baking soda inside the bowl. Wipe the cleaning solution off the handle, lid, and seat using a clean, dry paper towel. Then scrub the bowl with a toilet brush. Finally, flush the toilet.
- Tough-stain toilet scrub
- 5 drops citrus essential oils
- 10 drops lavender oils
- 1 cup white vinegar
- ¾ cup borax
Pour all these ingredients into a bottle. Flush the toilet and then pour the mixture all over the inside of the toilet bowl. Close the lid and leave it overnight. Make sure nobody uses the toilet. In the morning, scrub the toilet and flush.
- Simple toilet scrub
- Spray bottle of vinegar
- Bottle of baking soda
Simply spray the inside of the toilet bowl with vinegar and leave for 5 minutes. Then sprinkle the baking soda into the bowl, scrub, and flush the toilet. Clean the external surfaces by spraying some vinegar, leaving for a couple of minutes, and then wiping with a dry cloth.
Cleaning your toilet doesn’t have to drain the life out of you. If you know how to clean a toilet the right way, the task becomes simpler and less time-consuming. You can choose commercial toilet cleaners, but with increasing health and safety concerns, you may consider switching to natural ingredients. As you have seen, making your own toilet cleaner is quite simple. Whatever choice you make, just make sure your toilet is always sparkling clean!